Monday, June 16, 2008

Grove Park Inn


I was fortunate enough to spend some time at the Grove Park Inn the last weekend of May. There was a Ferrari Golf Tournament going on so we got to see many many sweet cars.


We also got to see the Back to the Future Delorean. I saw the car the day before the movie set burned down in California.


While there, I had a freaky experience. We stayed in the suite that had been used by F. Scott Fitzgerald while he was in Asheville. His wife was receiving medical treatment for schizophrenia in a nearby facility.


















The hotel elevator is in the shaft of the fireplace which can burn 8 foot logs and has been featured in Ripley's Believe it or Not. It's the old fashioned kind that has metal accordion style doors, three of them. The door you exited or entered depended upon which floor you were on. The elevator was always manned by hotel staff. They were dressed in attire that reminded me of the Overlook Hotel (The Shining).



While playing on my laptop in the little sitting area outside our room. I decided that I was bored and stood up. I asked to myself, "I wonder who I could ask if the gift shops downstairs are still open?" At that moment, the elevator stopped, the door opened and the only person on it was the elevator operator. "Is there anything I can help you with?" he asked. There was no one else on the elevator so no reason for him to stop on my floor. I was totally freaked out.



Wouldn't you be freaked out too? Look at him on the 6th floor looking down on me...sheesh.

No comments: